Cooperation between OHCHR and the International Organization of Francophonie (OIF)
On 25 September 2015 in New York, the High Commissioner for Human Rights, Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein and the Secretary General of the Francophonie (OIF) renewed for two years (2016-2017) the cooperation agreement that formally binds OHCHR and the OIF.
The three themes identified in the current framework of the 2016-2017 Roadmap are:
- The promotion of diversity and the fight against all forms of discrimination;
- Support for the United Nations Human Rights Mechanisms;
- The promotion and protection of the rights of migrants.
In a joint effort OHCHR and IOF will identify a project for each of the three aforementioned themes and will implement them in French-speaking countries. Both in their concept and their fulfilment, these projects must fully include the policies of the two Organizations with regard to gender integration and the principle of gender equality between women and men. The IOF will be involved in each stage of the implementation of these three projects.
Projet : Appui à l’autonomisation des femmes à travers l’amélioration de leur participation aux processus d’élaboration des programmes de développement, de leurs compétences managériales et de leur productivité, en vue de leur autonomie financière et Renforcement de la lutte contre les Violences Basées sur le Genre (mis en œuvre par Conseiller aux droits de l’homme, Madagascar).
Projet : Collaboration avec le Groupe de travail sur la question des droits de l’homme et des sociétés transnationales et autres entreprises à travers le renforcement capacités des entreprises extractives de la sous-région d’Afrique Centrale sur le respect des Principes directeurs des Nations Unies en matière des droits de l'homme et entreprises (mis en œuvre par le Centre des Nations Unies pour les Droits de l'Homme et la Démocratie en Afrique Centrale).
Projet : Rennforcer renforcer l’assistance juridique aux migrants au Maroc et au Sénégal : opportunités et défis ( mis en œuvre par la Branche des procédures spéciales, en collaboration avec le Bureau régional pour l’Afrique de l’ouest).
Cooperation between the Office of High Commissioner for Human Rights(OHCHR) and the International Organization of Francophonie (OIF) was first formalised on 8 September 1997, by signing in Geneva of a Framework Cooperation Agreement between the two organizations. A Joint Commission (consists of the High Commissioner and the Secretary General of the Francophonie) to coordinate and harmonize the activities of the two parties was then introduced.
On September 25, 2007, the High Commissioner for Human Rights Louise Arbour and the Secretary General of la Francophonie, Abdou Diouf signed their Roadmap (Feuille de route) at the meeting of the Joint Commission in Geneva.
With this roadmap, the OHCHR and OIF were staffed for the first time a timetable of activities and actions to be jointly implemented over a period of several years.
Roadmap (Feuille de route) signed by OHCHR and OIF is built around three pillars:
- Priority 1: Implementation of the main international instruments in the field of human rights
- Priority 2: Prevention and resolution of crises and conflicts
- Priority 3: The fight against discrimination and promoting diversity
On October 7, 2009, the High Commissioner for Human Rights, Navi Pillay, and the Secretary General of La Francophonie, met for a new Joint Commission decided to renew the agreement for 2 additional years.
Reference documents on the partnership
Some examples of projects and activities conducted in the framework of the partnership
- Tunisia: Strengthening of capacity of the national bar association
- Mali: Project on gender aimed at the members of the civil society
- Central African Republic: Assistance to women victims of human rights violations during the events that took place from March 2013 to May 2014
- Albinism: Expert meeting on the situation of human rights of persons suffering from albinism
- Central Africa: Human rights, conflict prevention and exploitation of natural resources in Central Africa and the Great Lakes region
- Guinea: Women's role in the process of transitional justice, challenges and opportunities.
- Seminar on the justiciability of economic, social and cultural dimensions of 21 to 23 February 2011, Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Déclaration (PDF) and Rapport (PDF)
- Advocacy for the ratification of the Optional Protocol to the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural rights
Plaidoyer Mali 2010 (PDF)
Plaidoyer Sénégal 2010 (PDF)
- Commemorating the 30th anniversary of the Working Group on Enforced or Involuntary Disappearances, November 5, 2010, Geneva
- 2nd francophone seminar on the Universal periodic review UPR, 22-23 May 2010 Rabat, Morocco
Rapport séminaire EPU Rabat 2 (PDF)
- Conference on the treaty bodies and the role of national human rights on issues of migration in West Africa, 9-12 November 2009, Bamako, Mali
Rapport Conférence de Bamako 2009 (PDF)
- UPR Workshop Dakar 2009
Séminaire EPU Dakar 2009 (PDF)
- Sub-regional seminar on monitoring recommendations of the Rights of the Child for States of West Africa, Ouagadougou, 6-8 November 2007
Rapport final (PDF)