See all countries >
OHCHR in the Russian Federation2011-201620102008-20092006-2007
Archived news(over 3 years old)
OHCHR Framework for Cooperation with the Russian Federation for 2007 and beyond
Following the agreement reached between the Government and the High Commissioner a human rights presence has been established within the United Nations Country Team (UNCT) in Moscow. The High Commissioner's two visits to the Russian Federation in 2005 and 2006 provided an opportunity to consolidate and strengthen cooperation with national partners. With the assistance of its National Programme Officer based in the Resident Coordinator's Office in Moscow , the OHCHR has launched its programme in the country. Comprehensive consultations concerning the content and forms of cooperation relevant to human rights have been carried out with governmental, civil society, and international partners with a view to designing the most adequate and sustainable programme. Meanwhile, a Senior Human Rights Adviser a.i. has also been deployed to the UNCT who will be replaced by his permanent successor as of 2007.
The programme aims at providing an added value to the efforts of different stakeholders in the protection of human rights at the national level, in terms of sustainability, effectiveness, and innovative approaches. The main projects carried out in 2006 included:
• Contribution to the fellowship programme for representatives of indigenous peoples of the Russian Federation;
• Contribution, together with UNICEF, to setting a national coordinated approach to the recommendations made by the Committee on the Rights of the Child;
• First phase of the training programme on the rights-based approach to development programming for members of the UNCT in Moscow and in the Northern Caucasus.
Mainstreaming human rights within the UNCT will contribute both to the strengthening of the work of agencies and programmes and to the achievement of the overall human rights goals. The main vehicles for this process will be the progressive adoption of the rights-based approach to development programming and the assistance and advice to the UNCT by the OHCHR presence. The UNCT will be appropriately equipped to incorporate human rights principles, including gender equality, in their economic and social development programmes. 2007 marks the beginning of the full implementation of the OHCHR programme in the Russian Federation . Several projects with long term effects will be launched, in particular in the areas of the rule of law, promotion of tolerance and countering discrimination, and human rights education and information.
• Enhanced sustainability of human rights efforts by relevant stakeholders in the country, including State agencies, civil society organizations, and United Nations agencies and programmes and thus, greater empowerment of rights holders and duty bearers, and effective human rights protection;
• Strengthened capacity of (a) State agencies to benefit from human rights principles, including gender equality, in their economic and social development programmes; and (b) the UNCT to incorporate human rights-based approaches and principles into their development and humanitarian work;
• Effective follow-up to conclusions and recommendations adopted by international human rights mechanisms;
• Effective protection of human rights defenders by relevant national bodies.
Field Operations and Technical Cooperation
Contact is in Geneva, Switzerland.
Europe and Central Asia Section
Tel. +41 22 928 9291
Joint Russia-OHCHR Projects Officers
UN Country Team – Russian FederationAddress: Leontyevsky Per.9125009, Moscow, RussiaTel/Fax: (+7 495) 787 21 03E-mail:
Commissioner on Human Rights in the Russian Federation
Council of Europe:- European Court of Human Rights - Directorate General of Human Rights (DGII) - Commissioner for Human Rights- Russian Federation and the Council of Europe