The United Nations Study on Violence against Children
Curriculum Vitae (abridged April 2004)
Paulo Sérgio Pinheiro was born in Rio de Janeiro in 1944 and he lives between São Paulo, Paris and Geneva ,with his wife Ana Luiza.
He has three children Daniela, André, Marina and three great children Thomas, Sofia and Mateus.
- Law Degree, Law School, Catholic University, Rio de Janeiro, PUC-RJ, (1966)
- Licence en sociologie à l'Université de Paris, Vincennes (1969-1970)
- Doctorat ès études politiques à la Fondation Nationale des Sciences Politiques (1971).
- Livre Docência em Ciência Política, Universidade de São Paulo, USP (1987)
Brazil (after 1971):
- Professor of Political Science, Department of political science, USP, 1985-2003, retired, Director of the Center for the Study of Violence [Núcleo de Estudos da Violência], NEV, 1987 - 2002 and Associate Researcher after 2003
- Chairperson of UNESCO chair on education, peace, human rights, democracy and Tolerance, Institute of Advanced Studies, IEA, USP, (1998-2000), USP. ,
- Assistant professor of political science, State University of Campinas, São Paulo, UNICAMP, (1971- 1985)
- Chair of the department of social sciences (1977-1978), UNICAMP
- Advisor to the Rector of the Universidade de São Paulo (1987-1988)
Abroad (after 1995):
- Visiting Professor, Maison des Sciences de l'Homme, Paris, France (Jan-March 1996 Jan. 1998; Feb. 2000, September 2003 to December 2004)
- Visiting Associate Professor of International Relations, Watson Institute, Brown University, USA (Spring Terms:2005-2007; 2003; 2001; 1997)
- Titulaire pro tempore de la chaire d'études en sciences sociales "Sérgio Buarque de Hollanda", Maison des Sciences de l'Homme, Paris, France (Spetember- February 2003;April-July 1999).
- Senior Member at Saint Anthony's College and Fellow at the Center for Brazilian Studies, Oxford University, UK (Hilary Term, Jan.- March 1999)
- Visiting Faculty Fellow, Kellogg Institute, University of Notre Dame, USA, (Spring Term, 1995);
RECENT PUBLICATIONS (AFTER 1998)
- e ASSIS DE ALMEIDA, Guilherme .Violência Urbana, São Paulo, Publifolha, 2003, 87 p.
- SACHS, Ignacy, WILHEIM Jorge e PINHEIRO, Paulo Sérgio.Brasil, um Século de Tranformações. São Paulo, Companhia das Letras, 2001
- -translation in English under contract with the University of North Carolina Press
- "Musings of a UN Special Rapporteur on Human Rights", Global Governance, vol.9, no.1, Jan-Mar.2003, p.7-14
- "The Paradox of Democracy in Brazil", The Brown Journal of World Affairs, Volume VII, issue 2,Winter 2002, p. 113-122.
- "Democratic Governance, Violence and the (Un) Rule of Law, Daedalus, vol. 129, No.2, 2000,p.119-144
- "Navigating in Uncharted Waters: Human Rights Advocacy in Brazil's 'New Democracy", "Rethinking Human Rights". NACLA, Report on the Americas, Vol.XXXIV, no1, July/August 2000, p. 47- 51
- Brazil and the International Human Rights System. Center for Brazilian Studies - Working Paper Series, n.15, 2001.
- MÉNDEZ, Juan E, O'DONNELL, Guillermo and PINHEIRO Paulo Sérgio, (Org.). The (Un) Rule of Law and the Underprivileged in Latin America. Notre Dame, Indiana, Notre Dame University Press, 1999. 357p.
- Democracia, Violência e Injustiça. [O Não- Estado de Direito na América Latina. São Paulo, Paz e Terra , 2000, 385p
- La inefectividad de la y exclusión en America Latina. Buenos Aires, Paidos, 2002, 336 p.
- e GUIMARÃES, Samuel Pinheiro. (Org.). Direitos Humanos no Séc. XXI. Brasília: IPRI/FUNAG, 1998. Vol. 1 / vol. 2. 1053p.
- (org.) São Paulo Sem Medo, Um diagnóstico da violência urbana,Rio de Janeiro: Garamond, 1998. 254p.
- Secretary of State for Human rights[with the status of Minister], Brazil (November 2001- December 2003)
- Rapporteur of the two Brazilian National Human Rights Plan: PNDH (1995-1996)and PNDH(2003) launched by the Brazilian Government
- Rapporteur of the São Paulo State Human Rights Plan, Brazil (1997- 1998).
- Special Counsel [with the status of Secretary of State] to the Governor of São Paulo State, Brazil (1983-1987)
POSITIONS IN INTERNATIONAL BODIES
- Member of the Interamerican Commission on Human Rights, Organization of American States, Washington DC (2003 - 2007)
- Independent Expert appointed by the UN Secretary General to prepare a worldwide report on violence against children ( February 2003 .)
- Special Rapporteur on the Situation of Human Rights in Myanmar (2001....)
- Member of the UN Sub-commission on the promotion and protection of human rights, Geneva (1998 to the present)
- Member of the UN International Commission of Inquiry on Alleged Human Rights Violation in Togo, appointed by the UN Secretary-General (2000).
- Consultant for the Human Development Report 2000 on Human Rights, United Nation Development Program, UNDP 2000.
- Member of the Civil Society Organizations Committee, UNDP, New York (2000-2002).
- United Nations Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Burundi (1995- 1999)
- Chairperson of the group of UN Commission on Human Rights Special Rapporteurs, Special Representatives and Experts of the UN Commission on Human Rights, Geneva (May 1997- May 1998).
- Rapporteur of the meeting of the UN Sub-commission on the protection and promotion of human rights, (August 1999)
MEMBERSHIP IN CIVIL SOCIETY ORGANIZATIONS
Board of the Comunidade Solidária, a consortium of NGOS in partnership with the Brazilian Federal Government, Brasília, chaired by Ms. Ruth Cardoso, (1999-2002)
- Justice and Peace Commission of São Paulo (since 1984)
- Teotonio Villela Commission on Human Rights, São Paulo (since 1983)
- Vice- president (1997 -2001) and member of the board (2003 to the present) of the São Paulo Institute against Violence, (since 1997), an association organized by major business federations in São Paulo.
- Member of the Federal Commission on Human Rights, Brazilian bar Association, OAB (1988)
- Chair of the Human Rights Commission, Brazilian Bar Association, OAB- São Paulo (1985-1989).
- Member of Group of International Advisors the International Committee of the Red Cross, ICRC, Geneva ( appointed in 2002)
- Vice- president of the International Humanitarian Fact-finding Commission, Bern, Switzerland (1998) and Member of that Commission, 1995- 2001
- Member of the board of the Center for Justice and International Law, CEJIL, Washington, DC (1990- 2002).
- Member of the board of the Human Relations Initiative, Beyond Racism, Atlanta, USA, 1998-2000 HUMAN RIGHTS MISSIONS
Human rights missions
- Several human rights monitoring missions in several states of Brazil, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Paraguay, Haiti, Burundi, Togo and Myanmar.
- Pinheiro was made knight of the Ordre National du Mérite, France (1998).
- "Special Prize" for his work on human rights, Sociedade Brasileira para o Progresso da Ciência [Brazilian Society for the Advancement of Science], SBPC, 1988.
- American Sociological Association ("Distinguished Latin American Criminologist", 1979).
Background of the Study
The Independent Expert
Related UN Links