Human rights in post-disaster and post-conflict situations
At its twenty-second session, the Council adopted resolution 22/16 (A/HRC/RES/22/16) on the protection of human rights in post-disaster/post-conflict situations, which takes note of the research proposals made to the Human Rights Council by the Advisory Committee in its decision 9/1 of 10 August 2012 and requests the Advisory Committee to:
1. to prepare, within existing resources, a research-based report on best practices and main challenges in the promotion and protection of human rights in post-disaster/post-conflict situations, with a focus on the human rights mainstreaming in relief, recovery and reconstruction efforts, to be presented to the Human Rights Council at its 28th session;
2. to seek the views and inputs of member States, relevant international organizations, the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, relevant United Nations agencies, funds and programmes, such as UNISDR, UNICEF, UNDP and UNFPA, relevant Human Rights special procedures, as well as agencies and organizations which work in post-disaster/post-conflict situations, and civil society representatives, in order to prepare the above mentioned research-based report; and
3. to present a progress report of the requested research-based report, to the Human Rights Council at its 26th session, for the Council’s consideration.
HRC resolution A/HRC/RES/22/16 in the all languages.
At its eleventh session in August 2013, the Advisory Committee established a drafting group tasked with the drafting of the report and designated the following experts as members of the drafting group: Mr. Latif Hüseynov, Ms. Katharina Pabel, Ms. Cecilia Rachel V. Quisumbing (Rapporteur), Ms. Anantonia Reyes Prado (Chairperson) and Mr. Imeru Tamrat Yigezu, as well as Ms. Chung Chinsung and Mr. Vladimir Kartashkin, whose term ended on 30 September 2013. Subsequently, Mr. Mikhail Lebedev and Mr. Ahmer Bilal Soofi also joined the drafting group.
In line with Council resolution 22/16, requesting the Committee to seek the views and inputs of different stakeholders, the following questionnaires were prepared and disseminated by the Committee in September 2013:
- Questionnaire to Governments
E | F | S
- Questionnaire to National Human Rights Institutions
E | F | S
- Questionnaire to Civil Society, including Non-governmental organizations
E | F | S
- Replies to questionnaires