Pursuant to Human Rights Council resolution 5/1, the participation of NGOs in the Advisory Committee shall be based on the arrangements and practices observed by the Commission on Human Rights, including Economic and Social Council resolution 1996/31 of 25 July 1996 (paragraph 83).
NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC wishing to accredit representatives to the session of the Advisory Committee must send a letter of request, for accreditation to the Secretariat.
Requests for accreditation should be sent to the Secretariat of the Human Rights Council Advisory Committee, to the attention of the Accreditation Officer (E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org, Fax if no access to email: + 41 (0)22 917 90 11), at their earliest convenience, indicating AC Accreditation as subject reference.
The request for accreditation should be sent well in advance of the relevant session and at least several weeks in advance if visa attestations are required. Upon request, the United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG) NGO Liaison Office (not the Secretariat of the Advisory Committee) may issue relevant ‘attestation of accreditation’ for visa application purposes. In order to obtain such an attestation, NGOs enjoying consultative status with ECOSOC should explicitly indicate their need in the accreditation request sent to the Secretariat of the Advisory Committee, and copied to the UNOG Liaison Office, which will issue the attestation and transmit it to the concerned NGO headquarters. Please consult Swiss consular officials in your country regarding visa application deadlines, apply accordingly and ensure documentation is in order.
The UNOG Liaison Office may be contacted at the following address:
United Nations Office at Geneva
NGO Liaison Office
Office of the Director-General
Palais des Nations
1211 Geneva 10
Tel: + 41 (0)22 917 13 04 / (0)22 917 21 78
Fax: +41 (0)22 917 05 83
The letter must contain the following elements:
- Submitted on the official letterhead of the organization;
- State the title and duration of the session the organization wishes to attend, e.g. "[Name of NGO], in consultative status with ECOSOC, wishes to send the following members to attend the Xth session of the Advisory Committee (dates of session)...";
- List the name/s (FAMILY NAME, First name) of the person/s who will represent the organization at the Advisory Committee session. Names of persons must appear exactly as they appear in their passports;
- List the name(s) of those members already in possession of a valid identity badge issued by UNOG Security and Safety Section, and who plan to attend the Advisory Committee session, with an indication that the person(s) hold(s) an annual badge.
- The letter must be signed by the President, or Chief Executive Officer of the organization, or the organization’s Main Representative to the United Nations Office at Geneva if he/she is so authorized.
Please send the letter of request by email or fax to the attention of the Accreditation Officer, and copy the UNOG NGO Liaison Officer if a visa attestation is required at:
- Secretariat’s office in Palais Wilson prior to the session: +41-22-917-9011
- Pregny Gate in Palais des Nations during the session: +41-22-917-0494
Before you request for accreditation to the HRC Advisory Committee and related meetings as well as visa attestations, please ensure that you have finalized the annual accreditation of your NGO with the United Nations Office at Geneva. For more information on annual accreditations, please consult the following website: www.unog.ch/ngo/accreditation.
Annual or temporary NGO representatives in possession of an identity badge issued by UNOG Security and Safety Section, and valid for the duration of the session, will have unrestricted access to the conference rooms.
Any other participants without a UNOG identity badge should apply in person to the security entrance at Pregny Gate, 8–14 Avenue de la Paix; on presentation of an identity document and a copy of the letter of accreditation faxed by the concerned NGO, a photo-badge valid for the duration of the session will be issued.
Please Note: On occasions of increased demand for participation in a given session, the Secretariat may limit access to the plenary room in terms of the number of accredited participants per NGO delegation. Therefore it would be useful to indicate in your request for accreditation if you seek access to the plenary, to the public gallery (see also below) or to a parallel event (see also below).