State national action plans
The UN Working Group strongly encourages all States to develop, enact and update a national action plan as part of the State responsibility to disseminate and implement the Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights.
The Working Group recognises the challenges of producing a comprehensive and effective national action plan and it is willing to assist States in this process. This dedicated webpage on national action plans aims to provide easy access to existing State action plans, as well as key public information and analysis on the various stages of national action plan development, implementation and follow up.
Information on national action plans can also be found on the Business and Human Rights Resource Centre's website: http://www.business-humanrights.org/Home
If you have any enquiries please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Working Group's guidance
Before publishing its guidance in December 2014, the Working Group is launching an online consultation (Word | PDF) on substantive elements to be included in a national action plan to implement the Guiding Principles. Please kindly email your responses to this document to email@example.com by 1 September 2014.
States that have produced a national action plan
Launched September 2013
- The Netherlands
Launched December 2013
Launched March 2014
Launched April 2014
Launched in the summer of 2014 (*subject to approval by the Spanish Council of Ministers)
States that are in the process of developing a national action plan
The Working Group's roadmap to develop guidance on State national action plans
During its seventh session in February 2014, the Working Group confirmed its roadmap to encourage States to develop an effective national action plan, with the following milestones:
- February 2014: Open Consultation on the strategic elements of national action plans in the implementation of the Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights;
- February 2014: Launch of the Working Group's “State national action plans” online repository and annual review process;
- May 2014: Expert workshop on national action plans during Working Group’s eighth session (May 8);
- May - July 2014: Working Group to draft its report to the General Assembly on national action plans;
- 1 July - 1 September 2014: Online consultation on a national action plan baseline draft and State survey of progress with national action plans and other Guiding Principles implementation efforts;
- October 2014: Working Group to present its report on national action plans to the General Assembly in New York.
- December 2014: Working Group to launch draft guidance on national action plans.