“We, heads of State and Government, … are committed to making the right to development a reality for everyone and to freeing the entire human race from want.”
UN Millennium Declaration
Development is a Human Right
The twelfth session of the Intergovernmental open-ended Working Group on the Right to Development, 14-18 November 2011, Room XVI, Palais des Nations, Geneva, Switzerland
The twelfth session of the Intergovernmental open-ended Working Group on the Right to Development was held from 14 to 18 November 2011 in room XVI, Palais des Nations, Geneva, Switzerland. The session was chaired by the Permanent Representative of Sri Lanka, H.E. Ms. Tamara Kunanayakam. The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights delivered opening remarks to the Working Group.
The Working Group considered views of Member States and other stakeholders on the work of the high-level task force on the implementation of the right to development (See below the reports of the task force) and the way forward in the implementation of the right to development.
On its last day the Working Group adopted conclusions and recommendations by consensus.
- Report of the twelfth session of the Working Group on the Right to Development A/HRC/19/52 (EFSACR)
The relevant documentation:
Agenda as adopted
Programme of work
- Compilation of the submissions received from Governments, groups of Governments and regional groups A/HRC/WG.2/12/2 (ESRAC)
- Compilation of inputs received from stakeholders other than States Members A/HRC/WG.2/12/3 (EFSACR)
- Summary of the panel discussion of the Human Rights Council on the theme, “The way forward in the realization of the right to development: between policy and practice” A/HRC/WG.2/12/4 (E advance edited version)
- Report of the Working Group on the Right to Development on its eleventh session A/HRC/15/23 (EFSACR)
- Human Rights Council resolution A/HRC/RES/15/25 (EFSACR)
- General Assembly resolution A/RES/65/219 (EFSACR)
- Report of the Secretary-General on the right to development A/66/216 (EFSACR)
- Background report submitted by the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights to the 2011 Social Forum A/HRC/SF/2011/2 (EFSACR)
Reports of the high-level task force on the implementation of the right to development
- A/HRC/15/WG.2/TF/2: The report on its sixth session, 14 - 22 January 2010 (EFSACR) and Corr.1 (ER)
- A/HRC/15/WG.2/TF/2/Add.1: Consolidation of findings (EFSACR ) and Corr.1 (E)
- A/HRC/15/WG.2/TF/2/Add.2: The right to development criteria and operational sub-criteria (EFSACR)
The written contributions on the work of the High-Level Task Force on the implementation of the right to development: