High-Level Meeting on Migration and Human Rights, 4 September 2013
In advance of the HLD, OHCHR organised a high-level meeting on “Migration and human rights: towards the 2013 High Level Dialogue on International Migration and Development” on 4 September 2013 in Geneva.
The high-level meeting was opened by the High Commissioner and included the participation of the Special Rapporteur on the Human Rights of Migrants, the Special Representative of the Secretary General for International Migration and Development, high level speakers from Member States, Principals of Global Migration Group agencies, and heads of NGOs.
The meeting, held one month before the HLD, aimed to provide concrete public messages and advocate for mainstreaming a rights-based approach within all round table discussions at the HLD.
An award-winning animated film on the immigration detention of children was shown at the meeting and the discussions were broadcasted live and live-tweeted (#Rights4Migrants).
More than 150 participants attended the event, including Member States, GMG agencies, and international and non-governmental organizations.
- Video summary
- Opening statement, Ms Navi Pillay, High Commissioner for Human Rights
- H.E. Eduard Gnesa, Special Ambassador for International Cooperation in Migration, Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation
- H.E., Eva Akerman Börje, Ambassador, Secretariat for the Swedish Chairmanship of the Global Forum on Migration and Development (GFMD)
- Yury Fedotov, Executive Director, UNODC (video message)
- Greg Vines, Deputy Director General, ILO
- François Crépeau, Special Rapporteur on the human rights of migrants
- Grant Mitchell, Director, International Detention Coalition (IDC)
- John Sandage, Director, Division for Treaty Affairs. UNODC