OHCHR-UNHCR Global Roundtable on Alternatives to Detention, 11-12 May 2011
On 11 and 12 May 2011, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) organized the first Global Roundtable on Alternatives to Detention (ATD) of Asylum-Seekers, Refugees, Migrants and Stateless Persons in Geneva. Thirty eight participants from 19 countries took part, drawn from governments, international organizations, human rights mechanisms, national human rights institutions, national and international non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and academic experts. The discussion was informed by a number of research papers. The roundtable follows up on a number of events, including a panel discussion on the human rights of migrants in detention centres held during the 12th session of the Human Rights Council in 2009.
- Summary conclusions of the Global Roundtable
- Concept note of the Global Roundtable
- OHCHR opening address to the Global Roundtable, Mr Bacre Ndiaye
- OHCHR intervention on human rights implications of alternatives to detention
- Back to Basics: the right to liberty and security of person and 'alternatives to detention' of refugees, asylum seekers, stateless persons and other migrants
- International Detention Coalition Handbook