Accreditation and registration
The 2016 Social Forum will take place from 3 to 5 October 2016 in Room XX, Palais des Nations, Geneva, Switzerland.
Pursuant to Human Rights Council resolution 29/19, the Social Forum is open to the participation of representatives of Member States and all other interested stakeholders including intergovernmental organizations, different components of the United Nations system, regional economic commissions and specialized agencies and organizations, as well as representatives designated by human rights national institutions, individual representatives, and non-governmental organizations in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council.
The Social Forum shall also be open to non-governmental organizations without consultative status with the Economic and Social Council, whose aims and purposes are in conformity with the spirit, purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations, including newly emerging actors, such as small groups and rural and urban associations from the North and the South, anti-poverty groups, peasants’ and farmers’ organizations and their national and international associations, voluntary organizations, environmental organizations and activists, youth associations, community organizations, trade unions and associations of workers.
The Forum shall be open to representatives of the private sector on the basis of arrangements, including Economic and Social Council resolution 1996/31 of 25 July 1996 and practices observed by the Commission on Human Rights, through an open and transparent accreditation procedure, in accordance with the rules of procedure of the Human Rights Council, while ensuring the most effective contribution of these entities.
THE DEADLINE FOR REGISTRATION is 9 September 2016
All NGOs and civil society (including NGOs with consultative status with ECOSOC):
All organizations accrediting representatives or individuals wishing to attend the 2016 Social Forum are invited to complete and return to the Secretariat of the Social Forum by email to email@example.com the following documents:
- A letter on the official letterhead of the organization, signed by the head of the organization. In the letter:
- State the title and duration of the session the organization wishes to attend, e.g. “[Name of organization], [if applicable, please indicate after the name of the organization, “in consultative status with Economic and Social Council of the United Nations (ECOSOC)”], wishes to send the following members to attend the 2016 Social Forum of the Human Rights Council (3-5 October 2016)”.
- List the name/s (FAMILY NAME, First name) of the person/s that will represent the organization at the session. Names of persons must appear exactly as they appear in their passports.
- NGOs and other civil society organizations without consultative status with ECOSOC, please include: website of the organization (if no website, physical address); dates of participation at previous sessions of the Social Forum or any other United Nations human rights meetings; and a brief description of activities carried out by the organization which are relevant to the work of the Social Forum.
For your convenience, a sample letter can be found here. (texte français)
- Complete the registration form (one per individual participant) and attach it to the e-mail. Please identify those representatives already in possession of a valid identity badge issued by the United Nations Office at Geneva (UNOG), Security and Safety Section, who plan to attend the session.
- A copy of passport or other official picture identity document.
Prior to the Social Forum, participants without a UNOG identity badge should proceed to the accreditation office at the “Pregny Gate” security entrance (8-14 avenue de la Paix –see map) with all the required documentation (registration form for each participant, original passport or ID document and copy of letter of accreditation). An Accreditation Officer will then issue a photo-badge granting access to the conference room in Palais des Nations.
Note: When there is a large number of NGOs seeking to participate in a session, the Secretariat may limit the number of accredited participants per delegation with access to the plenary room.
VISA PROCEDURES – IMPORTANT NOTE:
Participants are responsible for making their own arrangements related to travel and accommodation as well as entry visa to Switzerland.
Please apply for your accreditation well in advance if a Swiss visa is required, and consult the respective Swiss Consulate regarding Swiss visa application deadlines and documentation required. If a visa attestation letter is required by NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC, kindly address a letter to the United Nations Office at Geneva NGO Liaison Office (email: firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +41 22 917 0583).
The Secretariat of the Social Forum does not provide assistance in this regard and is not in a position to provide letters to the authorities of Switzerland or the European Union for purposes of obtaining a visa.
Please note that the Secretariat is no longer accepting proposals for side events in the framework of the 2016 Social Forum.
For further enquiries, please contact email@example.com