Call for Application
2015 Fellowship Programme for People of African Descent
Deadline for Fellowship Programme for People of African Descent Applications Extended to 1 July 2015!
The deadline to apply for the 2015 Fellowship Programme for People of African Descent has been extended to 1 July 2015. Please see our original announcement for more details about the fellowship.
The Fellowship Programme for People of African Descent provides the participants with an intensive learning opportunity to deepen their understanding of the United Nations human rights system, instruments and mechanisms, with a focus on issues of particular relevance to people of African descent. The Fellowship Programme will allow the participants to better contribute to the protection and promotion of civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights of people of African descent in their respective countries.
The first Fellowship Programme for People of African Descent was launched by the Anti-Racial Discrimination Section of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights in 2011 in the context of the International Year for People of African Descent.
In the framework of the Programme of Activities for the Implementation of the International Decade for People of African Descent, this year the programme will coincide with the first session of the UN Forum for People of African Descent. This will enable the fellows to attend and contribute to the work of the secretariat of the Forum and to the Forum itself.
The Fellowship will be held from 2 to 20 November 2015 in Geneva, Switzerland. Participant’s entitlement:
Each fellow is entitled to a return ticket (economy class) from the country of residence to Geneva; basic health insurance; and a stipend to cover modest accommodation and other living expenses for the duration of the Programme.
Who can apply?
- The candidate must be an individual of African descent living in the Diaspora.
- The candidate must have a minimum of 4 years of work experience related to the rights of People of African Descent.
- The candidate needs to have sufficient command of the English language to be able to participate fully in the programme.
- The candidate has to submit a letter of support from an organization working on issues related to People of African Descent or minority rights.
- The candidates must be available to attend the full duration of the programme. The selected fellows will be expected to participate in different activities and to strictly follow the programme.
The selection of the fellows will reflect gender and regional balance. The human rights situation of People of African Descent in the respective countries will also be taken into consideration.
Please note, that because of the volume of messages, applications will not be acknowledged. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
How to Apply?
Applicants are requested to submit the following documents in one single e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them at +41 22 928 90 50:
- A Curriculum Vitae
- A completed, signed and scanned Application Form in one single document.
- A Personal Statement (maximum 500 words) in which the candidate will explain his/her motivation for applying, and how he/she will use the knowledge gained from the fellowship to promote the interests and rights of people of African descent.
- An Official Letter of Support from the nominating organization or community
- A copy of the applicant’s passport.
Please note that submissions with more than five attachments will not be accepted.
Important: Please mention in the subject header of your e-mail: “Application for the 2015 Fellowship Programme for People of African Descent.”
Name the attached document as follows:
LAST NAME First name – Type of document
Example: SMITH Jacqueline – Application form.doc
SMITH Jacqueline – A Personal Statement.doc
SMITH Jacqueline – Letter of Support.pdf
SMITH Jacqueline – Passport.pdf
Deadline for Applications: 1 July 2015