At the regional level, the mandate collaborates with several regional mechanisms and makes use of instruments adopted or established to increase the protection of human rights defenders. The cooperation with these mechanisms and structures includes sharing of experiences and information, comparing and mutually reinforce working methods, and identifying common objectives.
- the Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights;
- the Special Rapporteur on Human Rights Defenders of the Inter-American Commission for Human Rights;
- the Council of Europe and its Commissioner for Human Rights whose mandate on human rights defenders has been recently enhanced by the declaration on human rights defenders adopted by the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe in February 2008;
- the Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE/ODIHR);
- the 2008 European Union Guidelines on Human Rights Defenders. For tips and guidance on how to use the EU Guidelines, you can refer to the FrontLine Handbook for human rights defenders: What protection can diplomatic missions offer?