Fourth Regional Consultation on the Right to an Effective Remedy for Trafficked Persons
On 21 November 2013, the Special Rapporteur on trafficking in persons, especially women and children Ms. Joy Ngozi Ezeilo, convened a Global consultation on the right to an effective remedy for trafficked persons in Abuja, Nigeria pursuant to Human Rights Council Resolution 20/1 of 5 July 2012.
This regional consultation, brought together representatives of 9 States from the Africa Group as well as experts from international and regional governmental and non-governmental organizations thus providing a forum to exchange experiences, practices and lessons learnt while combatting trafficking in persons. It also provided an opportunity to engage in deeper discussions on the content of the draft Basic Principles and provide suggestions and recommendations.
The draft Basic Principles were first presented by the Special Rapporteur in her 2011 report to the Human Rights Council on the right to an effective remedy for trafficked persons(*).
The draft Basic Principles, intend to provide States with a useful tool to implement the three key elements of redress, recovery and reintegration for trafficking victims thus operationalizing the right to an effective remedy which are based on existing international human rights law and standards, and designed to bring clarity to the concept of the right to an effective remedy and to elaborate specific factors to be taken into account when this right is applied to trafficked persons.
- Ms. Jayne Huckerby, Duke University, School of Law, USA
- Victoria Onuoha, Benin City University, Edo state, Nigeria
- Beatrice Jedy Agba, Executive Secretary of the National Agency for the Prohibition of Traffic in Persons and other Related Matters (NAPTIP)
- Victoria Ijeoma Nwogu, Gender Specialist, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), Somalia
- Alice Maranga, Program Officer, Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA) Kenya
- Eric Peasah, Director, Right To Be Free, Ghana
* Check the full report by the Special Rapporteur A/HRC/17/35