Call for submissions: Country visit to the Republic of South Africa
The Special Rapporteur is seeking information in preparation of her country visit to the Republic of South African.
The Special Rapporteur will address violence against women broadly, focusing on both its causes and consequences.
The Special Rapporteur will study the different manifestations of violence against women:
1) Violence in the family: both domestic violence (all forms of abuse, marital rape, incest, violence against domestic workers and the girl-child, etc.), and culturally justified practices that are violent to or subordinate women.
2) Violence in the community: rape/sexual assault, sexual harassment, early and forced marriages, violence within institutions, and forced prostitution, among others.
3) Violence perpetrated or condoned by the State: violence during conflict, violence in custodial settings and/or violence perpetrated by State security forces.
4) Violence in the transnational sphere: violence encountered by women facing new vulnerabilities as a result of increased transnational processes, such as immigrant women, asylum seekers and refugees. This can include also women who are victims of trafficking for labour and sexual exploitation.
Throughout her visit, the Special Rapporteur will particularly focus on women who encounter multiple and intersecting forms of discrimination, including women from minority groups and women living in vulnerable situations.
In accordance with the established practice of mandate-holders, the Special Rapporteur welcomes all relevant submissions that NGO’s and other stakeholders may wish to transmit for her consideration in preparation of this visit, such as:
- Recent analytical reports or surveys on the manifestations and prevalence of violence against women in South Africa
- Information on the legal, policy and programmatic responses to violence against women, including criminal or civil provisions, and whether these measures are appropriate or sufficient.
- Priority issues/concerns that need the attention of the Special Rapporteur.
- Suggestions on key government persons/institutions to meet in different regions.
- Suggestions on programmes, shelters, and organisations to visit in the various locations.
- Contact info of key NGOs, civil society representatives, lawyers to meet in different regions.
It would also be useful to have substantive information on efforts undertaken by the State in terms of prevention, protection, prosecution and punishment, and the provision of effective remedies for victims of violence against women.
During the visit, the Special Rapporteur wishes to meet with civil society organizations, human rights defenders and other advocates working on violence against women. The schedule and venues of meetings with civil society representatives will be shared with you in due course.
The visit to South Africa has been postponed at the requested of the Government. The new dates of the visit will be communicated in due course.