Call for Application
2013 Fellowship Programme for People of African Descent
Deadline for Applications 18 February 2013
The Fellowship Programme for People of African Descent provides the participants with an intensive learning opportunity to deepen their understanding of the United Nations human rights system, instruments and mechanisms, with a focus on issues of particular relevance to people of African descent. The Fellowship Programme will allow the participants to better contribute to the protection and promotion of civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights of Afro-descendants in their respective countries.
The first Fellowship Programme for People of African Descent was launched by the Anti-Discrimination Section of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights in 2011 in the context of the International Year for People of African Descent.
This third year the Fellowship Programme for People of African Descent will be held from 15 April to 3 May 2013 in Geneva, Switzerland. The programme will coincide with the 12th session of the UN Working Group of Experts on People of African Descent. This will enable the fellows to attend and be part of the secretariat of the Working Group’s session and gain a better understanding of its mandate and work.
Each fellow is entitled to a return ticket (economy class) from the country of residence to Geneva; basic health insurance; and a stipend to cover modest accommodation and other living expenses for the duration of the Programme.
Who can apply?
- The candidate must be an African descendant living in the Diaspora.
- The candidate must have a minimum of 4 years of experience related to the rights of People of African Descent or minority rights.
- The candidate needs to have sufficient command of the English Language to be able to participate fully in the programme.
- The candidate has a letter of support from an organization working on issues related to People of African Descent or minority rights.
- The candidates must be available to attend the full duration of the programme.
The selection of the fellows will be on a first-come, first-served basis, and will reflect gender and regional balance. The human rights situation of People of African Descent in the respective countries will also be taken into consideration.
Please note, that because of the volume of messages, applications will not be acknowledged. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
How to Apply?
Applicants are requested to submit the following documents in one single e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them at +41 22 928 90 50:
- A Curriculum Vitae
- A completed, signed and scanned Application Form in one single document.
- A Personal Statement (maximum 500) in which the candidate will explain his/her motivation for applying, and how he/she will use what they learn to promote the interests and rights of people of African descent.
- An Official Letter of Support from the nominating organization or community
- A copy of the applicant’s passport.
Please note that you can only send a maximum of five attachments.
Important: Please mention in the subject header of your e-mail: “Application for the 2013 Fellowship Programme for People of African Descent.”
Name any attached document as follows:
LAST NAME First name – Type of document
Example: SMITH Jacqueline – Application form.doc
SMITH Jacqueline – A Personal Statement.doc
SMITH Jacqueline – Letter of Support.pdf
SMITH Jacqueline – Passport.pdf
Deadline for Applications: 18 February 2013
Any questions pertaining to the Fellowship Programme for People of African Descent can be directed to: email@example.com