COMMITTEE ON ENFORCED DISAPPEARANCES
Joint Webinars by CED and WGEID
The year 2020 marks the
40th anniversary of the UN Working Group on enforced and involuntary disappearances (WGEID) and the
10th anniversary of the entry into force, on 23 December 2010, of the UN International Convention for the Protection of All Persons from Enforced Disappearance. In this context, the WGEID and the CED are convening two
joint online-events on the search for victims of enforced disappearances, and the investigation of their disappearance.
Dates and time:
To accommodate the COVID-related suspension of face-to-face meetings, a series of two webinars has been convened on 23 September (14h00 to 15h30) and 25 September (12h00 to 13h30), Geneva time.
These are public webinars, which will be streamed on UN Live United Nations Web TV (webtv.un.org).
If you wish to participate with the possibility to raise questions, please enrol sending an email to
email@example.com with the title of the webinar, your name, affiliation and contact details to receive the relevant information.
Programme of the webinar
- Legal Obligations to conduct search and investigations
- Ratification of the CED
- CED Guiding Principles for the Search for Disappeared Persons
- WGEID Thematic Report on standards and public policies for an effective investigation of enforced disappearances
- Stock taking exercise in progress made in tackling enforced or involuntary disappearances globally and recurring obstacles encountered by stakeholders in conducing search and investigations.
- Ways forward in the current global context: how to tackle impunity for cases of enforced disappearance? Promoting Victim-centred approaches.
- UN Experts (e.g. Olivier de Frouville, Luciano Hazan, Carmen Rosa Villa)
- Victims, relatives and organizations supporting them (e.g. Estela de Carlotto)
- Specialised mechanisms in the search for disappeared persons and the investigation of enforced disappearances
- State representatives and representatives of governmental bodies
For further information, please consult the following link: