<< Back to country pledges
Celebrating 30 years of the Convention on the Rights of the Child
Pledge by Nepal
Ratified the Convention on the Rights of the Child on 14 September 1990
Ratified the Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on the involvement of children in armed conflict on 3 January 2007
Ratified the Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on the sale of children child prostitution and child pornography on 20 January 2006
- Birth registration of all children under the age of 5 shall be ensured.
- Care and protection of double orphan children shall be ensured.
- Care and protection of children living in the street shall be ensured by initiating "Street children free city campaign".
- The percentage of children aged between 1 and 14, who experienced psycho-logical or corporal punishment shall be reduced to 40.
- The proportion of children working under hazardous conditions shall be reduced to 16.
- Rights of children with disabilities to inclusive education shall be ensured.
- Alternative care of needy children shall be well managed leading to deinstitu-tionalization of children residing in institutional care.
- The Ministry of Women, Children and Senior Citizens and the then Central Child Welfare Board (it has been transformed to National Child Rights Council) have been celebrating National Child Rights Day on September 14 (Nepal ratified the UNCRC on 14th September 1990) as well as International Child Rights Day on November 20. The Ministry and the Council will celebrate 30th anniversary of the Convention on 20th November of this year with special focus. The event will be organized in one of the public places in Kathmandu.
Read more [PDF]