<< Back to country pledges
Celebrating 30 years of the Convention on the Rights of the Child
Pledge by Sri Lanka
Ratified the Convention on the Rights of the Child on 12 July 1991
Ratified the Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on the involvement of children in armed conflict on 8 September 2000
Ratified the Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of the Child on the sale of children child prostitution and child pornography on 22 September 2006
- General Measures of Implementation.
- Amendments to the Children and Young Persons Ordinance.
- Dissemination and implementation of a National Alternative Care Policy for children in Sri Lanka.
- Amendments were made to the Employment of Women, Young Persons and Children Act in 2003 and 2006.
- Implementation of a National policy on elimination of child labour, adopted in 2017.
- Dissemination and Implementation of National Guideline on Vulnerable Children.
- Strengthening of Village Child Development Committees (VCDC)-Village level coordinating mechanism.
- Civil Rights and Freedom
- Birth Registration for all children as of 2019.
- Protection of privacy and elimination of discrimination in relation to information contained in birth certificates.
- Family environment and Alternative Care.
- Census on institutionalized Children.
Read more [PDF]