How to contribute to the Fund
Contributions to the Special Fund may be accepted from Governments, intergovernmental or non-governmental organizations, private sector organizations and the public at large, in accordance with the Financial Regulations and Rules of the United Nations.
Demand for support from the Fund will grow as the
Subcommittee on the Prevention of Torture’s activities expand. The Fund’s increasing visibility is also expected to lead to a rise in the number of applications.
The minimum required on an annual basis to guarantee its functioning would be some $500,000, which would enable the Fund to support an average of 10-20 projects per year, and with a reasonable level of funding per project (for example, $25,000). More contributions are therefore required to sustain and consolidate this tool, which engages States and provides them with the technical assistance, to implement activities aimed at preventing torture.
Contributions to the Special Fund should be marked “Payee: Special Fund established by the Optional Protocol to the Convention against Torture, account CH”, and may be made by:
- Bank transfer in United States dollars to the United Nations Geneva General Fund, account No. 485001802, J.P. Morgan Chase Bank, 270 Park Avenue, 43rd floor, New York, NY 10017, United States of America (Swift code: CHAS US 33; bank number: (ABA) 021000021);
- Bank transfer in euros to the United Nations Office at Geneva, account No. 6161600934, J.P. Morgan Chase AG, Grueneburgweg 2 — 60322 Frankfurt am Main, Germany (Swift code: CHAS DE FX; bank number: (BLZ) 50110800; IBAN: DE78 5011 0800 6161 6009 34);
- Bank transfer in pounds sterling to the United Nations Office at Geneva, account No. 23961903, J.P. Morgan Chase Bank, 25 London Wall, London EC2Y 5AJ, United Kingdom (Swift code: CHAS GB 2L; bank number: (SC) 609242; IBAN: GB68 CHAS 6092 4223 9619 03);
- Bank transfer in Swiss francs to the United Nations Geneva General Fund, account No. 240-C0590160.0, UBS AG, rue du Rhône 8, case postale 2600, CH-1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland (Swift code: UBSW CH ZH 80A; bank number: 240; IBAN: CH92 0024 0240 C059 0160 0);
- Bank transfer in other currencies to the United Nations Geneva General Fund, account No. 240-C0590160.1, UBS AG, rue du Rhône 8, case postale 2600, CH 1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland (Swift code: UBSW CH ZH 80A; bank number: 240; IBAN: CH65 0024 0240 C059 0160 1);
- Cheque payable to the United Nations, addressed to Trésorerie, Nations Unies, Palais des Nations, CH-1211 Geneva 10, Switzerland.
If possible, donors are requested to inform the Donor and External Relations Section of OHCHR when a payment has been made (including a copy of the bank transfer order or the cheque) to facilitate effective follow-up in the official recording procedure and for preparation of reports of the Secretary-General.