The mandate of the Independent Expert on the situation of human rights in Somalia was established in 1993 pursuant to Commission on Human Rights resolution E/CN.4/RES/1993/86.
Human Rights Council resolution 42/33 adopted on 27 September 2019 extended the mandate of the Independent Expert on the situation of human rights in Somalia for a period of one year to assess, monitor and report on the situation of human rights in Somalia with a view to making recommendations on technical assistance and capacity-building in the field of human rights. It requested the Independent Expert to continue to working closely with the Federal Government at the national and subnational levels, with all United Nations bodies, including the United Nations Assistance Mission in Somalia, with the African Union, the Intergovernmental Authority on Development and other relevant international organizations, civil society and all relevant human rights mechanisms, and to assist Somalia in the implementation of:
- Its national and international human rights obligations;
- Human Rights Council resolutions and other human rights instruments, including associated routine reporting;
- Recommendations accepted in the context of the universal periodic review;
- Other human rights commitments, policies and legislation to promote the empowerment of women, young people and marginalized groups, freedom of expression and assembly, the protection of the media, access to justice for women, and increasing the capacity of ministries and institutions responsible for the administration of justice and the protection of human rights.
Human Rights Council resolution 42/33 also requests the Independent Expert to report to the Human Rights Council at its forty-fifth session and to the General Assembly at its seventy-fifth session.
In the discharge of the mandate, the Independent Expert:
urgent appeals and letters of allegation to States with regard to human rights violations.
- undertakes fact-finding
- submits annual reports to the
Human Rights Council, and
General Assembly, on the activities, trends and methods of work.
Independent Expert on the situation of Human Rights in Somalia
c/o Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights
United Nations at Geneva
8-14 avenue de la Paix
CH-1211 Geneva 10
Fax: (+41) 22 917 90 06