Call for submissions – Country visit by the UN Special Rapporteur on human rights and toxics wastes to Brazil (2-13 December 2019)
The United Nations Special Rapporteur on the implications for human rights of the environmentally sound management and disposal of hazardous substances and wastes (toxics), Baskut Tuncak, will conduct an official country visit to Brazil from 2 to 13 December 2019 2019, at the invitation of the Brazilian Government. The Special Rapporteur is an independent expert appointed by the UN Human Rights Council. He regularly undertakes country visits to assess the situation of human rights at the national level in the context of hazardous substances and wastes.
Call for submissions
The Special Rapporteur would like to invite all interested individuals and organizations in Brazil, including civil society organizations, defenders of human rights and academics, to submit information which they consider relevant in preparation of this visit, such as:
- Recent information on human rights and exposure to toxic and otherwise hazardous substances and wastes in Brazil, including with respect to pollution, contamination, occupational diseases linked to toxic exposures, consumer products, and other actual or potential sources of exposure. Anticipated areas of focus include extractive industries, the chemical industry and agriculture.
- Information on both progress and challenges for the exercise of the right to life, to health, to information and to an effective remedy, among others, in relation to hazardous substances and wastes.
- Priority environmental and/or occupational concerns that deserve the attention of the Special Rapporteur, including circumstances involving: exposure of children, indigenous peoples, workers, low income communities, and other groups at elevated risk, and taking into consideration different genders. Information regarding specific industries or sectors is also welcome.
Information on laws, policies, programs and governance frameworks on respecting and protecting human rights implicated by hazardous substances and wastes.
Contact information for organizations and representatives who wish to meet with the Special Rapporteur.
- Please send the information by 15 September 2019 to email@example.com. The information may be sent in English or French and must not be longer than 10 pages.
- For relevant reports, please provide a link to the document if available online, or attach if not available online.
- Please indicate “SR Toxics Visit to Brazil 2019” in the email header.
All input will be treated confidentially by the Special Rapporteur for the sole purpose of preparing for the country visit. If you would like your written submission to be published on the website of the Special Rapporteur, please explicitly indicate this in your submission.
Useful contacts and links
The Special Rapporteur on human rights and toxics thanks you for your submission.