Accreditation for the sessions of the Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
ONLINE REGISTRATION FOR THE EIGHTH SESSION
ESPAÑOL / FRANÇAIS
According to paragraph 9 of resolution 6/36, the meetings of the Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples shall be open to the participation of observers through an open and transparent accreditation procedure in accordance with the rules of the Human Rights Council.
Registration is for:
- Representatives of non-governmental organizations (NGOs) in consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC);
- Representatives of indigenous peoples organizations and representatives of NGOs not in consultative status with ECOSOC;
- Academics and experts on indigenous peoples;
- National Human Rights Institutions.
Those required to complete the online registration process to attend the seventh session of the Expert Mechanism are invited to complete the three steps accreditation procedure by:
- Preparing a letter requesting accreditation, according to the description below, which can be uploaded to the online registration form.
- Complete the online registration form in English, Spanish or French (please upload the letter requesting accreditation and provide all the required information).
- Print, fill and bring to the session the Conference Registration Form (no need to send it to the Secretariat).
Important notice: the letter requesting accreditation and the online registration form are BOTH necessary for your accreditation request.
The Conference Registration Form is necessary to get a badge to access the Conference Room.
The secretariat of the Expert Mechanism recommends that each registrant provide an individual online registration form to ensure prompt processing
LETTER REQUESTING ACCREDITATION
The letter requesting accreditation to the eighth session of the Expert Mechanism must contain the following elements:
- It must be submitted on the official letterhead of the organization, if applicable.
- It must clearly state the title and duration of the session the organization wishes to attend, (e.g. “Name of NGO wishes to send the following members to attend the eighth session of the Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples between 20 and 24 July 2015 …”).
- The letter needs to be signed by the President, Director or the Main Representative of the organization.
- It must also indicate the name/s (first name and family name) of the person/s who will represent the organization at the Expert Mechanism session:
- Names of persons must appear exactly as they appear in the ID document,
- Family Name(s) should be capitalized.
- It must also state the date of birth and nationality of the representatives of the organization
HOW TO GET THE IDENTITY BADGE TO GAIN ACCESS TO THE CONFERENCE ROOM?
Once in Geneva, you should apply in person to the accreditation office at the security entrance at Pregny Gate, 8-14 Avenue de la Paix. Upon presentation of an identity document, a copy of the letter of accreditation sent by the concerned organization, and a completed conference registration form the accreditation officer will issue a photo-badge granting access to the Palais des Nations. This badge will remain valid for the duration of the session, and will permit the badge-holder unrestricted access to the conference room.
The accreditation office at the “Pregny Gate” security entrance will be open from Monday to Friday from 08:00 to 17:00.
SPECIFIC INFORMATION TO TAKE INTO ACCOUNT
1. NON-GOVERNMENTAL ORGANIZATIONS IN CONSULTATIVE STATUS WITH ECOSOC
Ensure that the name/s of those representative/s of the NGO already in possession of a valid identity badge issued by the United Nations Office in Geneva (UNOG) Security and Safety Section, and who plan to attend the eighth session of the Expert Mechanism, are also included in the accreditation request, with an indication that the person/s holds an annual badge.
Renewal of the designation of representatives
NGOs are reminded that each year they need to send information concerning their organization, and renew the designation of representatives to the United Nations, by completing the DESA/NGO/2008 form, as from 1 January of the current year. This form can be found on the following website: http://www.un.org/esa/coordination/ngo.
When completed, the form must be returned by fax or by mail to: NGO Liaison Unit, Office of the Director-General, United Nations Office in Geneva, Palais des Nations, Room 155, 1211 Geneva 10, Switzerland; Fax: +41 22 917 05 83; Tel: +41 22 917 21 27; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. NATIONAL HUMAN RIGHTS INSTITUTIONS
National human rights institutions should follow the accreditation procedure established for the Human Rights Council.
We would invite any national human rights institutions interested in participating to the Expert Mechanism session to also fill the online registration form.
3. BENEFICIARIES OF THE VOLUNTARY FUND FOR INDIGENOUS POPULATIONS
Beneficiaries of the Voluntary Fund do not need to send the letter requesting accreditation nor complete the online registration form.