Call for submissions on ending immigration detention of children and seeking adequate reception and care for them
The UN Special Rapporteur on the human rights of migrants, Mr. Felipe González Morales, has decided to focus his next thematic report on ending immigration detention of children and seeking adequate reception and care for them. The report will be submitted to the 75th session of the General Assembly.
In this context, to inform his work on the subject, the Special Rapporteur welcomes relevant inputs from Member States, National Human Rights Institutions, UN Agencies, civil society, academia and other stakeholders on the following topics:
- Legislation or policies that prohibit or restrict the use of immigration detention of children and their families;
- Existing non-custodial alternatives to immigration detention of children (e.g. community-based reception solutions) and their effect on the protection of the rights of migrant children and their families
- Good practices or measures taken to protect the human rights of migrant children and their families while their migration status is being resolved;
- Challenges and/or obstacles in the development and/or implementation of non-custodial alternatives to immigration detention of children and their families;
- Other relevant information.
For further details, please refer to this
questionnaire. (El cuestionario en español)
Please limit your submissions to 2,500 words, and send them to
firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “submission to GA report”.
Deadline for submissions: 15 May 2020