The Ad Hoc Committee on the elaboration of complementary standards
H.E. Ambassador Taonga Mushayavanhu (Zimbabwe), Chairperson-Rapporteur
In 2007, in its resolution 6/21, the
Human Rights Council established the Ad Hoc Committee of the Human Rights Council on the Elaboration of Complementary Standards with the mandate to “elaborate, as a matter of priority and necessity, complementary standards in the form of either a convention or additional protocol(s) to the
International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, filling the existing gaps in the Convention, and also providing new normative standards aimed at combating all forms of contemporary racism, including incitement to racial and religious hatred.”
The Ad Hoc Committee for the Elaboration of Complementary Standards held its very first session in February of 2008 and has subsequently met annually. The sessions are attended by representatives of
Member States , regional groups, national institutions, specialized agencies, and intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations. The Ad Hoc Committee has engaged with numerous thematic experts in the field of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance and considered the contemporary issues of racism in different contexts.
Over the past nine sessions, the Committee’s thematic areas of focus have included, inter alia:
- Procedural gaps with regard to the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination;
- National mechanisms;
- Special measures, including affirmative or positive measures;
- Prevention and awareness-raising, including through human rights education and training, in the fight against racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance;
- Racism and sport;
- Effective and adequate remedies for victims;
- Protection of migrants against racist, discriminatory and xenophobic practices; and,
- Protection of refugees, returnees and internally displaced persons against racism and discriminatory practices.
Following each session, the Ad Hoc Committee submits its report to the Human Rights Council pursuant to decision 3/103 and resolutions 6/21 and 10/30. The report of the 9th session is available
In 2017, both the General Assembly in resolution 72/157 and the Human Rights Council in resolution 34/36 asked the Chairperson-Rapporteur of the Ad Hoc Committee on Complementary Standards "to ensure the commencement of the negotiations on the draft additional protocol to the Convention criminalizing acts of a racist and xenophobic nature during the 10th session of the Ad Hoc Committee".
The tenth session of the Ad Hoc Committee will be held from 8 to 19 October 2018 in Geneva.