OHCHR Grant for the International Decade for People of African Descent

2020 Call for project proposals
Deadline closed

In 2020, the Anti-Racial Discrimination Section of OHCHR intends to support civil society organizations, working on issues related to people of African descent. For this purpose, the Section invites grassroot civil society organizations to submit project proposals that focus on the International Decade for People of African Descent "People of African descent: recognition, justice and development" and that are in line with General Assembly resolution 69/16.

The duration of the proposed project cannot exceed 12 months. The maximum amount requested from OHCHR for the implementation of this project cannot exceed 10,000 USD. The project proposal must not exceed 10 pages (attachments such as scanned copies of NGO’s registration, CVs of staff etc. do not count). 

For this purpose, please fill in duly all the sections of the application form, include the required documents (scanned copy of NGO’s registration certificate, CVs of staff etc.) and budget excel sheet, and send the complete application package to the following email address: cfioroni@ohchr.org

Deadline for applications: 1 March 2020. Incomplete and/or late applications will not be considered.

Projects’ activities can include, amongst others, the following:

  • seminars, workshops, trainings;
  • capacity building activities;
  • institutional strengthening activities and
  • advocacy

The following types of activity will not be covered:

  • individual sponsorships for participation in workshops, seminars, conferences, congresses;
  • one-off conferences;
  • capital expenditure, e.g. land, buildings, equipment and vehicles;
  • individual scholarships for studies or training courses;
  • supporting political parties; and
  • sub-contracting

Each organization can submit only one application under this call for proposals. Any organisation submitting more than one application will NOT be considered.

If you are a former fellow of the OHCHR fellowship for people of African descent and you apply on behalf of an NGO, please indicate this in your email, as well as the year when you attended the fellowship.

Due to the number of applications, only short-listed applicants will be notified.

Please note that, as per usual practice, grantees will receive 80% of the requested amount (not exceeding 10,000 USD per project for up to 12 months) at the beginning of the project implementation and the remaining 20% after the end of the project — once the financial documents have been checked and verified by the auditors and submitted to OHCHR.

Priority will be given to applications submitted by small, grassroot organisations.

Refund of grants: OHCHR may request organizations to refund, either in part or in whole any amounts paid in respect of a grant when:

  • the project was not implemented in full or in part;
  • the grant was spent for ineligible expenditures other than those mentioned in the budget proposal submitted to, and approved by OHCHR;
  • no narrative, financial or audit report was submitted within the deadline established by the grant agreement;
  • a narrative report and/or a financial report submitted was determined to be unsatisfactory;
  • a negative evaluation of the project by OHCHR;
  • any other valid reason provided by the OHCHR.