Group of Independent Eminent Experts on the Implementation of the Durban Declaration and Programme of Action
Saied A. Ashshowwaf, Ph.D. – Associate Professor of Strategic Planning – Member of the Saudi Human Rights Council
Dr. Saied Ashshowwaf is a Saudi Arabian scholar with extensive international and national experience in international affairs and human rights. He masters the Arabic and English languages, and has a basic level of French.
Dr. Ashshowwaf is an appointed member of the Saudi Arabian Human Rights Council since 2011. He served two terms as chairman of the Committee of International Relations and two terms as a member of the Committee at Saudi HRC. He also served as a member of Committee of Political and Civil Rights, and Committee of Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (2014-2015).
Currently, he is Chairman of Political and Civil Rights Committee at Saudi HRC, in addition to his responsibility for the development and implementation of the HRC and the Saudi National Strategy of Human Rights in Saudi Arabia. His activities include:
- Active participant and contributor to the preparation and presentation of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia's Human Rights country reports to the Human Rights Council at the UN.
- Participates in delegations of Saudi Arabia in UNHRC Sessions since 2011.
- Participates regularly in the United Nations conferences and events related to the Human Rights.
- Developed the strategic plan for the Saudi HRC (2011-2016).
- Developed the National Strategy and Action Plan of Human Rights for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
His international experience includes:
- A freelance consultant to AGFUND and the UNDP at the United Nations office in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia since 1999 in areas related to development planning and project assessment.
- Consultant to the Executive Office of Shaikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoom, Governor of Dubai, to assist in the Planning and Development of Dubai Government (1999-2005).
- Member of the Executive Board of the International Institute of Administrative Sciences (IIAS) at Brussels, 1991-1993, with more than 142 country members.
- Member of the Executive Board at the Scientific Council of the International Association of Schools of Business and Institutes of Public Administration, 1991-1993 (IASIA).
- Served as Chairman of the Planning and Forecasting Committee at the International Institute of Administrative Sciences, Brussels, 1991-1993.
- Member of the Board of Union of Arab Bank and representative of the Saudi Banks (1994-1997).
- Regular participant in international events and conferences in strategic and development planning, including UN Millennium and the Sustainable Development Goals.
Dr. Ashshowwaf holds a PH.D. in Public Administration from State University of New York at Albany, N.Y., USA, 1985, and a MPA in Public Administration from the American University in Washington, D.C., USA. He holds a BSc in Criminal Justice from University of Southern Colorado, Pueblo, Co., USA, in addition to post-doctoral studies and certifications from Yale University in 1995, Harvard University (2012), and Washington University in strategic planning (2013).
He led and participated in the development and implementation of more than ten strategic planning projects in and outside Saudi Arabia for government, business and healthcare sectors.
Research and Publications
His published work and scientific research exceeds sixty publications and manuscripts in areas of human rights, health care, management training, strategic planning, organizational performance measurement and development, and human resources management.
Additionally, he has prepared more than thirty consulting reports for government, private organizations, agencies of the United Nations as well as regional government agencies.
He is an active member of professional and academic associations of human rights, healthcare, strategic planning and public administration.