Call for femicide related data and information
Further to her report to the General Assembly
A/71/398, of 23 September 2016 in which the Special Rapporteur on violence against women, it’s causes and consequences, called for the prevention of femicide, or gender killing of a woman and the establishment of femicide watches and/or observatories on violence against women in line with the modalities explained in the same report, the Special Rapporteur has since been working with other UN and regional mechanisms towards promoting measures aimed at analyzing and preventing femicide.
Since the 2016 report, some progress has been made in developing national observatories and collection of data with the aim of analyzing the causes of femicide. Over the course of the next two years, the Special Rapporteur aims to continue cooperating with national, regional and UN mechanisms and processes in order to pursue the implementation of the recommendations in her report to the General Assembly. Information provided by your organisation will be important to achieving this.
With this objective in mind, the Special Rapporteur kindly seeks your support in accelerating efforts to prevent gender related killings of women and respectfully requests information on:
- administrative data on gender related killings of women for 2016-2018;
- the number of women killed by their partners (intimate partner killings) or by family members or other killings by unrelated persons but gender related;
- Number of killings of children, disaggregated by sex, in the contexts of gender related violence against women;
- Information on the existence of or progress in the creation of a national femicide watch and/or observatory on violence against women;
- Information on analysis of cases and actions undertaken in this respect;
- Information on related investigations, prosecutions and convictions of all cases of gender related killing.
Regional mechanisms and academic institutions