The COVID-19 crisis' impact on violence against women
Responses by SR VAW, the UN system, regional organisations and civil society and State parties
UN independent expert mechanisms on discrimination and violence against women
Special Rapporteur on violence against women (SR VAW)
Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW)
All documents can be found on the
CEDAW Committee webpage
Working Group on Discrimination against Women and Girls (WGDAW)
Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)
Office of the Special Representative of the Secretary-General on Sexual Violence in Conflict
Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees
- Bi-monthly newsletter
Good Idea seeks to create a space of discussion regarding UNHCR's engagement with the human rights mechanisms and it aims to provide a framework to connect and share good practices from UNHCR Operations, developments regarding human rights standards, and upcoming opportunities to engage. The April edition focuses on COVID-19 and its global impact on the human rights of refugees.
World Health Organisation (WHO)
Platform of independent United Nations and regional expert mechanisms on violence against women and women’s rights (EDVAW Platform)
Regional organisations and its independent expert mechanisms
Committee of Experts of the Follow-up Mechanism to the Belém do Pará Convention (MESECVI)
Group of Experts on Action against Violence against Women and Domestic Violence of the Council of Europe (GREVIO)
The Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) and its Rapporteur on the Rights of Women
African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights (ACHPR) and its Special Rapporteur on the Rights of Women in Africa
Committee of the Parties to the Council of Europe Convention on Prevention and Combating Violence against Women and Domestic Violence (Istanbul Convention)
Organisation for Security & Co-Operation in Europe (OSCE)
Women's Rights Committee of the European Parliament
European Women's Lobby
Policy brief: Putting equality between men and women at the heart of the response to Covid-19 across Europe
- Group of 101 NGOs, Statement, 8 April 2020: "Europe: European government must ensure safe and timely access to abortion care during COVID-19 pandemic"
- Women's Link Worldwide, Amnesty International and International Planned Parenthood Federation, 15 April 2020: "Guidelines for Protecting the Rights of Women and Girls during the COVID-19 Pandemic"
- Women's Link Worldwide, Amnesty International and International Planned Parenthood Federation, 4 May 2020: "
Guidelines to African States for Protecting the Rights of Women and Girls during the COVID-19 Pandemic"
- Human Rights Watch, "Human Rights Dimensions of COVID-19 response";
section "Address disproportionate impact on women and girls"
- Center for Reproductive Rights, 14 April 2020, "Louisiana's COVID-19 Ban on Abortion Challenged in Court: Center for Reproductive Rights files lawsuit against Louisiana following State actions attempting to stop abortion care during the pandemic"
- International Partership for Human Rights, 16 April 2020, "Kazakhstan: NGOs call for improved protection of women at risk of domestic violence during the COVID-19 crisis"
In this section
Issues in focus
Special Rapporteur on Violence against Women
8-14 Avenue de la Paix
1211 Geneva 10,
Fax: + 41 22 917 9006