Header image for news printout

UN experts urge North Korea to repatriate 11 abducted from plane hijack 50 years ago

Korean version below / 아래 한국어 첨부

GENEVA (13 February 2020) - UN human rights experts* urge the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) to repatriate 11 individuals who were forcibly disappeared 50 years ago after their domestic flight in the Republic of Korea was hijacked.

Korean Air Lines flight YS-11, with 51 people on board, was hijacked on 11 December 1969 and forced to land in the DPRK. Thirty-nine were released on 14 February 1970, but the fate and whereabouts of the remaining 11 passengers and crew is still unknown.

“This Friday marks the 50th anniversary of the release of 39 of those on board. It is entirely unacceptable that the families of the remaining 11 individuals have waited 50 long years in limbo with no information about their loved ones,” said the experts.

“We call on the DPRK to urgently provide information about their fate and whereabouts and to allow them to freely communicate with their relatives.”

The experts also expressed concern over allegations that some of the individuals had faced torture and ill-treatment during their disappearance.

“To date no independent investigations have been conducted into the hijacking, disappearance or alleged torture, as required by the DPRK’s international obligations,” they added.

The Working Group on Enforced and Involuntary Disappearances has 275 outstanding cases of enforced disappearances in the DPRK registered in its database. It has previously called for the Security Council to consider referring the situation to the International Criminal Court.

In 2014, a Commission of Inquiry found that the DPRK authorities had committed crimes against humanity against victims of international abduction and other persons denied repatriation.

“It is high time that the DPRK start genuine cooperation to clarify the fate and whereabouts of these 11 individuals as well as all the other disappearances cases,” the experts said.

The experts have written to the Government of the DPRK to raise their concerns about the issue.

ENDS

*The UN experts: Members of the Working Group on Enforced or Involuntary Disappearances - Mr. Luciano Hazan (Chair), Mr. Tae-Ung Baik (Vice Chair), Mr. Bernard DuhaimeMs. Houria Es-Slami, and Mr. Henrikas Mickevičius; Mr. Nils MelzerSpecial Rapporteur on Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment and Mr. Tomás Ojea Quintana, Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in the DPRK.

The Special Rapporteurs are part of what is known as the Special Procedures of the Human Rights Council. Special Procedures, the largest body of independent experts in the UN Human Rights system, is the general name of the Council's independent fact-finding and monitoring mechanisms that address either specific country situations or thematic issues in all parts of the world. Special Procedures experts work on a voluntary basis; they are not UN staff and do not receive a salary for their work. They are independent from any government or organization and serve in their individual capacity.

For further inquiries and media requests please contact: Gabriela Guzman (+41 22 928 9452 / gguzman@ohchr.org)

For media inquiries related to other UN independent experts: The Media Unit (+ 41 22 928 9855 / mediaconsultant2@ohchr.org)
Concerned about the world we live in?
Then STAND UP for someone’s rights today.
#Standup4humanrights

______________________________________________________

유엔 전문가, 조선민주주의인민공화국에
50 항공기 납치 사건 당시 납치된 11 송환

제네바 (2020년 2월 13일) – 유엔 인권 전문가들*은 50년 전 대한민국 국내선 항공기 납치 당시 강제실종된 11명의 송환을 조선민주주의인민공화국에 촉구한다.

51명의 승객이 탑승했던 대한항공 YS-11기는 1969년 12월 11일 납치되어 조선민주주의인민공화국에 강제 착륙했다. 1970년 2월 14일, 39명이 풀려났으나 나머지 11명의 승객 및 승무원은 여전히 행방불명이다.
    
전문가들은 “이번 금요일에 39명의 탑승객이 송환된 지 50년을 맞이하게 된다. 나머지 11명의 가족들이 사랑하는 이들에 관한 어떠한 정보도 없이 불확실성 속에 50년이란 긴 세월을 기다렸다는 점은 절대 용납할 수 없는 일”이라 말했다.

“우리는 조선민주주의인민공화국이 시급히 이들 생사와 행방에 관한 정보를 제공하고, 이들과 친척 간 자유로운 소통을 허용할 것을 촉구한다.”

전문가들은 또한 납치 당시 일부 납치대상자가 고문 및 부당한 대우를 받았다는 주장에 대해 우려를 표했다.  

그들은 “조선민주주의인민공화국의 국제 의무에 따라 요구되는 납치, 실종, 또는 고문 혐의에 관한 독립적 수사가 현재까지 진행된 바 없다”고 더했다. 

강제적∙비자발적 실종에 관한 실무그룹(Working Group on Enforced or Involuntary Disappearances) 데이터베이스에는 조선민주주의인민공화국 내 강제실종 미제 사건이 275개 등록되어있다. 실무그룹은 이전에도 해당 상황의 국제형사재판소(International Criminal Court) 회부를 고려할 것을 안전보장이사회(Security Council)에 촉구한 바 있다.  

2014년에 조사위원회(Commission of Inquiry)는 조선민주주의인민공화국 당국이 국제 납치 피해자와 기타 송환이 거부된 이들을 대상으로 반인도범죄를 저지른 사실을 파악했다.

“지금이야말로 조선민주주의인민공화국이 해당 11명 뿐 아니라 기타 실종자의 생사와 행방을 밝히기 위해 진정한 협력을 시작할 때”라고 전문가들은 말했다.

전문가들은 해당 문제에 관한 우려를 표하기 위해 조선민주주의인민공화국 정부에 서한을 보냈다. 

*유엔전문가: 강제적비자발적실종관한실무그룹 위원  - Luciano Hazan (의장), 백태웅 (부의장), Bernard DuhaimeHouria Es-Slami, Henrikas Mickevičius; 고문그밖의잔혹한, 비인도적인또는굴욕적인대우나처벌에관한특별보고관Nils Melzer; 조선민주주의인민공화국인권상황에관한특별보고관Tomás Ojea Quintana.

특별보고관은유엔인권이사회특별절차제도, 특별절차는유엔인권제도하에서가장많은독립전문가가참여한다. 특별절차는특정국가인권또는전세계에적용하는특정인권주제를다루기위해인권이사회가독립적으로사실관계를규명하고모니터링하는제도를가리킨다. 특별절차전문가는유엔직원신분이아니고무보수로자발적으로임무를수행한다. 또한여타정부나기관으로부터독립성을유지하며개인역량을바탕으로업무를수행한다.

기타정보언론사문의는Gabriela Guzman(+41 22 928 9452 / gguzman@ohchr.org)에게연락바랍니다.

기타유엔독립전문가관련언론사문의는The Media Unit(+ 41 22 928 9855 / mediaconsultant2@ohchr.org)으로연락바랍니다.