During its 59th session (16 January – 3 February 2012), the Committee on the Rights of the Child decided to devote its 2012 day of general discussion to the rights of all children in the context of international migration. The discussion took place on Friday 28 September 2012 during the 61st session of the Committee in Geneva (Palais des Nations).
Overall objective of the 2012 DGD
To promote, at the international and national levels, the rights of all children in the context of international migration.
Specific objectives of the 2012 DGD
- Help identify specific child rights issues in the normative, policy and programme areas in relation to all children in international migration situations, regardless of their status (regular or irregular).
- Identify principles and examples of good policies and practices in relation to children in international migration situations.
- Address international standards protecting the rights of the child in the context of international migration and identify how these international standards take or should take into account the guiding principles in the Convention on the Rights of the Child (non-discrimination, best interests of the child, respect for the views of the child and the right to life, survival and development).
- Provide further substantive information for facilitating the Committee’s dialogue with and recommendations to States parties on issues relating to the rights of children in international migration situations.
- Raise awareness and promote exchange of information and collaboration among actors/stakeholders dealing with the rights of children in the context of international migration.
The views expressed are those of the submission authors and do not necessarily represent those of the Committee on the Rights of the Child.