HR75 September Spotlight Discussion: Social Protection, Sustainable Development, and the Right to Development
25 September 2023
13:00 – 15:00
Conference Room XXI, Palais des Nations, Geneva
This event is co-organized by OHCHR and ILO under the Human Rights 75 Initiative.
Participate in person or follow online at https://media.un.org/en/asset/k1g/k1giz9ij13
The event aims to:
- Reinforcing the key messages of the HR75 monthly spotlight on the nexus of social protection, sustainable development, and the right to development;
- Deepen understanding of States’ obligations relating to human rights to social security and to development under the international human rights treaties and international labour standards to reduce inequalities within and among countries;
- Discuss concrete ways to ensure that social protection and other policies relevant to the reduction of poverty and inequalities, at all levels (global, regional, and national) are guided by international human rights treaties and international labour standards;
- Ensure policy coherence among all relevant actors, including States, UN entities, and IFIs, in this regard;
- By reflecting on the review of progress in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals at the SDG Summit (September 2023), discuss how the international community, particularly the UN and IFIs, can facilitate the achievement of SDGs, particularly the eradication of poverty and the reduction of inequality;
- Discuss inter-generational issues relating to the right to social security, the right to development and the SDGs;
- Showcase impact stories and recent knowledge products, including the study of the Expert Mechanism on the Right to Development on “Inequality, social protection and the right to development” (A/HRC/54/83), OHCHR-ILO joint Factsheet on Social Security (forthcoming), etc.
- The discussions in the event will identify priority areas for actions and advocacy in promoting the right to social security and the right to development and in ensuring policy coherence of MS, UN, IFIs, and all relevant actors with the international human rights treaties and labour standards in eradicating poverty and reducing socio-economic inequalities.
- It will also help inform the Human Rights 75 - High-level event on 11-12 December 2023.
- The event will start with opening remarks by the High Commissioner for Human Rights and the Director-General of the International Labour Organization (ILO), followed by presentations by panel speakers, representing Member States, observers, human rights experts, civil society, and/or academia.
- A moderator will then facilitate an interactive discussion between the panel speakers and participants, followed by concluding remarks by panellists.
- The event will have English, French, and Spanish interpretation.
- Ms. Magdalena Sepúlveda Carmona, Executive Director of the Global Initiative for Economic, Social and Cultural Rights and a former SR on extreme poverty and HR
- Opening remarks:
- Mr. Volker Türk, United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
- Mr. Gilbert F. Houngbo, Director-General of the International Labour Organization (ILO)
- H.E. Ms. Lotte Knudsen, Head of the Delegation of the European Union to the United Nations and other international organizations in Geneva
- H.E. Mr. Galib Israfilov, Chair of the Geneva Chapter of the Non-Aligned Movement
- Mr. Bonny Ibhawoh, Member, Expert Mechanism on the Right to Development
- Ms. Tala Odeh, Human Rights defender, Member of the OHCHR Youth Advisory Group
Please register hereRegister