Fifth intersessional meeting on human rights and the 2030 Agenda - 19 January 2023
Date/Time: Thursday 19 January 2023, 15:00-17:00 CET
Venue: Room XX, Palais des Nations, Geneva, and online platform (Zoom)
The 2023 intersessional meeting is the fifth of a series of inter-sessional meetings of the Human Rights Council on human rights and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. The inter-sessional meeting was mandated by resolution A/HRC/RES/43/19.
The Intersessional Meeting will base its discussions on the theme of the 2023 July HLPF Accelerating the recovery from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and the full implementation of the 2030 Agenda for sustainable development at all levels while considering the global situation and multiple crises, reaching from the danger of global recession to the global consequences of the war in Ukraine.
The HRC Intersessional meeting will explore the importance and added value of integrating human rights into the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for sustainable development to resume progress on the SDGs and help overcome the impact of the multiple crises the world is currently facing. Without prejudice to the integrated, indivisible, and interlinked nature of the SDGs, particular emphasis will be placed on three of the SDGs which will be reviewed in-depth by the HLPF in July 2023: SDG 6 (clean water and sanitation), SDG 11 (sustainable cities and communities), and SDG 17 (means of implementation and partnerships for the goals).
Statements and speeches
- H.E. Mr. Václav Bálek, Ambassador and Permanent Representative of the Czech Republic to the United Nations Office and other international organizations in Geneva, President of the Human Rights Council (video message)
- Mr. Volker Türk, United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (video message)
- H.E. Ms. Antonia Urrejola, Minister for Foreign Affairs, Chile (video message)
- Mr. Grieve Chelwa, Director of Research, Institute on Race, Power and Political Economy, The New School
- Ms. Attiya Waris, United Nations Independent Expert on foreign debt and human rights
- Mr. Arnaud Peral, United Nations Resident Coordinator in Tunisia
- Ms. Leilani Farha, Director of The Shift on the Right2Housing
- Cabo Verde
- United Kingdom
NGOs and others
Cuba made an oral intervention during the meeting but did not submit a written statement
Resolution adopted by the Human Rights Council on 22 June 2020 A/HRC/RES/43/19 – Promotion and protection of human rights and the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
Report of the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights A/HRC/51/9 on “Integrated approaches to the promotion and protection of human rights and the implementation of the 2030 Agenda at the national level”.
Report of the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights A/HRC/52/54 - “Summary of the fifth intersessional meeting for dialogue and cooperation on human rights and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development”