Meetings and events
High-level panel sessions
High-level panel discussion on the UPR Voluntary Funds, HRC52, 1 March, 16:00-18:00
Achievements, good practices and lessons learned over the past 15 years and optimized support to States in the implementation of recommendations emanating from the fourth cycle
H.E. Mr. Václav Bálek, President of the Human Rights Council
Ms. Amina J. Mohammed, Deputy Secretary-General of the United Nations (video message)
Ms. Nada Al-Nashif, United Nations Deputy High Commissioner for Human Rights
- H.E. Mr. Federico Villegas, Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Argentina to the United Nations Office at Geneva
- Ms. Susanna Moorehead, Chair of the Development Assistance Committee of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
- Ms. Mona M’Bikay, Executive Director of UPR Info
Side Event: Supporting States, Realizing Rights: the 4th cycle of the UPR and 15th Anniversary of the Voluntary Fund for Financial and Technical Assistance in the implementation of the universal periodic review”, 3 November, New York, 2022
In view of the start of the 4th cycle of the UPR and its focus on enhanced implementation of recommendations, OHCHR and the Permanent Missions of Morocco, the Dominican Republic, Switzerland, the Philippines, and South Africa organized a side event on the margins of the 77th session of the UN General Assembly in New York.
Chaired by H.E. Omar Hilale, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Permanent Representative of the Kingdome of Morocco to the United Nations, the side event was opened by:
- H.E. Mr. Federico Villegas, President of the Human Rights Council;
- Ms. Ilze Brands Kehris, Assistant Secretary-General for Human Rights, OHCHR;
- Ms. Asako Okai, Assistant Secretary-General and Director, UNDP Crisis Bureau; and
- Mr. Oscar Fernandez-Taranco, Acting Assistant Secretary-General for Development Coordination, DCO.
All speakers highlighted the important opportunity presented by the commencement of the 4th cycle to work together towards enhanced engagement by States and the UN system with the UPR process, in line with the Practical Guidance on the use of the UPR at the country level.
High-level representatives of States and other relevant stakeholders shared concrete examples of how the Voluntary Fund (VF) has supported the implementation of UPR recommendations. They also discussed progress in the implementation of UPR recommendations by States and their integration with other relevant frameworks, including efforts to achieve the SDGs.
The event also served as a forum to raise further awareness of tools available to States and other stakeholders to assist in facilitating greater follow-up and implementation of recommendations. In view of the enhanced focus on the implementation of the 4th cycle, it also promoted States’ access to the financial and technical assistance available through the Fund.
Flyer and programme of the event: PDF
Seminar: 6th OIF - OHCHR Seminar on the UPR, 6-7 September 2022
Programme - PDF: Français
- HRC President – Ambassador Federico Villegas - PDF: Français;
- President of the Group of Francophone Ambassadors in Geneva – Ambassador Makaila Ahmad of Chad - PDF: Français;
- ASG UNDP, Director of the Crisis Bureau Ms. Asako Okai - PDF: English;
- DCO LAC Director Mr. Roberto Valent - PDF: English;
- OHCHR, UPR Chief Mr. Gianni Magazzeni - PDF: Français.
Main recommendations of the Seminar - PDF: Français
Report of the 6th OIF-OHCHR seminar on the UPR – PDF: Français
Workshop on strengthening the role of parliamentarians from OIF Member States in the UPR process, Palais des Nations, Geneva, 25-26 October 2021
- List of participants
- Speech by Mr Georges NAKSEU-NGUEFANG Permanent Representative of the International Organisation of La Francophonie (OIF) in Geneva and Vienna
- Speech by H.E.M. Makaila AHMAD, Permanent Representative of Chad to the United Nations Office at Geneva, Chairman of the Group of Francophone Ambassadors (GAF)
- Speech by Mr Jacques KRABAL, Parliamentary Secretary General of the Assemblée parlementaire de la Francophonie (APF)
- Speech by Mr Martin CHUNGONG, Secretary General of the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU)
- Speech by Mr Mahamane CISSE-GOURO, Director of the Human Rights Council Mechanisms and Human Rights Instruments Division, OHCHR
Regional Workshop on the UPR: Good Practices, Follow-up Mechanisms and Synergies with the 2030 Agenda, Panama City, Panama, 22-23 October 2019
- Concept Note
- Opening Speech
- Closing remarks
- El EPU y los Objetivos de Desarollo Sostenible, oportunidades para sinergias
- Desafíos en Latinoamérica para Cumplimiento Agenda 2030 & Derechos Humanos