About the project
With the support of Norway, OHCHR is implementing a project focused on working for rights with and for young people.
OHCHR aims to work closely with student and youth led organizations throughout the project, and for its duration has established a network of youth officers in the following locations:
- Beirut, Lebanon (Regional Office for the Middle East and North Africa)
- Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan (Regional Office for Central Asia)
- Dakar, Senegal (Western Africa Regional Office)
- Geneva, Switzerland (Headquarters)
- Guatemala (Country Office)
- Suva, Fiji (Regional Office for the Pacific)
The project aims are closely aligned with the UN Youth Strategy, with a view to reinforcing OHCHR efforts towards implementation of the Strategy as follows:
- Promote and protect the rights of young people, particularly marginalized youth, youth in crisis contexts and situations of insecurity and violence;
- Promote youth participation in political and public affairs;
- Promote human rights education and training of young people;
- Mainstream the rights of young people into the work of UN human rights mechanisms and advocate for youth participation in human rights intergovernmental forums; and
- Support governments in integrating a human rights based approach to the development of youth policies.